Grease is the word!

Avery's hair is curly, very curly, beautiful, thick, and taking over the world!

I'm not sure if this is typical of biracial children, but Avery's hair started off pretty straight and very soft and thick, and then as she got "bald in back," the infamous 6 month rectangle bald spot things changed from there on.

As her hair grew back it was curlier and a little more coarse. Well, now that she's almost 20 months the crazy curls are slowly taking over. If her hair was a movie it'd be, "Invasion of the Rowdy Ringlets." I'm finding myself grasping for any tips, advice, or hair product that can help.

Since Avery's hair is a little dryer in some spots I got advice to start using a leave-in-conditioner and we've been using Johnson and Johnson and it smells great and tended to work pretty well. Her hair though started to get a little drier and frizz much easier.

I turned to a few friends with biracial and African American kids and enlisted them in my plight for a soft spiral solution. I got plenty of ideas several which we now implement. We use lots of conditioner in the tub and comb through with a wide toothed comb, and are still using the leave-in-conditioner in the mornings, but we've added something so new to me I'd never heard of it before just recently.

Let me introduce you to my new friend: Carrot Oil!



I don't know much about African American or even biracial hair and Avery helped me demonstrate this fact. The first time I applied the carrot oil in Avery's hair, I read the instructions which say to, "apply to the scalp and massage in." Now I don't know when the last time I could fully get to Avery's scalp was, so I did my best to apply all over.

I guess I was a little heavy handed and didn't realize that "oil" means "OIL!" Poor Avery was rockin' the Soul Glow look from Coming to America.


Here are a couple of Avery's before shots:

And After:
Now that we've been using the Carrot Oil I've learned to use a lot less, that oil doesn't mix with water even if it's a hair product, and that Avery really can let her Soul Glo, but can I???

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I really love the new look!! It's totally cute! Looks like you found your "magic potion!"

Post a Comment

Our Family of 4

Our Family of 4
We're a bloggy family, we blog about rollercoasters, parenthood, but mostly our beautiful girls and the amazing life we've been given by God. Check out our fun antics, silly stories, and enjoyable moments.

MommyB Knows Best

Our Web Sites

Blog Archive

Bloggy Buttons!